Friday, February 22, 2013

Digital Story Telling

Here is my first attempt at my digital story project.  I hope that this is OK because it isn't in a story format as far as having characters, setting, plot, etc.  We are studying polygons in math so I had the students apply what they are learning about the different number of sides and angles that polygons have.  I found an optical illusion calendar with the artwork of Rob Gonsalves and had my students choose a picture they liked.  They had to find a polygon and then explain how they knew it was a polygon.  This was also a great activity to promote speaking.  Some of them had a hard time speaking loud enough in the microphone, but most of them were relaxed enough and enjoyed it.



8 comments:

  1. Diana, this is awesome! I love the optical illusion artwork. I think that it was a great idea for students to find/identify polygons, and then support their finding. Your digital story goes to show that digital storytelling can be used in other subjects besides reading and writing. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Where is the story though? haha All of these digital stories are inspiring me to get started.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a meaningful activity that builds on prior knowledge. My favorite part is listening to students trying to pronounce quadrilateral.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought that was very creative. You had your students very involved in their learning. They are learning so much from the very beginning by choosing the pictures to narrate. I enjoyed watching the pictures and listening to the students.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome! I can see older students do something similar. I love the idea of incorporating math!!!! So much can be done with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was great. I love that you choose to create a digital story about math. Did you have the students read from a script? The students were speaking so clear and used appropriate tone. Way to incorporate the speaking/speech CCSS!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea to look for shapes! I will definitely use this an inspiration for our geometry unit next year. I also love how interactive this was for your students. I'm sure they loved participating in the activity and learned a lot. What did you use to get the video for your story?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you went different here with the digital story and didn't make it quite a "story"!! I would love to use this in my class with my kids!! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete